Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The following quote is from a man named Brian McConaghy. He is the founder of the Ratanak foundation which is committed to helping children in Cambodia. I spoke at my church before I headed back to Cambodia and shared this quote along with personal reflections the Lord had given to me.

“There are millions in slavery throughout the world. Let’s be under no illusion this is brutal brutal stuff. Western society has the luxury to look away, to change the channel, to isolate ourselves in this western affluent cocoon, to create a studied ignorance in which we all live. God has no such luxury. He is compelled to be involved because this for him is intensely personal. There are no options if love is involved. We can only love that which we know.”

I read this quote recently and it struck me. I thought of all of the children I had seen with my own eyes that had been abused. I thought about the Lord’s desire to see these little ones rescued. Then I really got stuck on the word “personal.” I began to think of what this word meant. As Christians we use it a lot to refer to our relationship with Jesus. But what does it really mean? What does it mean for these things to be personal to the Lord? I began to ask God these questions. I asked him to show me what it meant for something like this to be personal to him.
As I asked him these things I began to see a picture unfold in my mind. I saw myself at a “meet and greet” type party. I imagined that I was attending the party and Jesus would also be there. I asked God, “If you were at this party who would you want me to meet? Who would you want to personally introduce me to?” And the answer came. I saw Jesus proudly usher a 15 year old girl by her arm to me. He quickly made first name introductions and then began to ramble on about this girl to me. He said, “Ruthie, I really wanted you to meet Angie. She is so funny! She has many gifts; ones she doesn’t even know about. It’s amazing how much she cares for others. I’m telling you, you guys will be great friends.” I’m a little taken aback by such an enthusiastic introduction, but can immediately see that all He says is true. Just by looking at her face I can see that this young woman is amazing.
But there are two parts to this story. And suddenly I see what others see. I see that this young woman I am talking to is a prostitute. I see that she is plagued by hopelessness and fear. She has already tried to take her life more than once and she has believed every insulting lie that her torturers have told her.
But Jesus didn’t mention any of these things in his introduction. Is it possible that he couldn’t see it? Would I ever be able to see things through His eyes?
Now, personal has a much deeper meaning.
Can I handle this kind of personal? Can I allow myself to see the way that God sees others?
For me this 15 year old girl represents Cambodia. I have been given a great honor to be introduced to her by who she is in Christ, not what she is outwardly. And now my privilege is to treat her as she is in Christ. To join with the voice of the Father and speak into being the gifts and blessings the Lord has for this country and its people.
But, it doesn’t stop here. I ask for more personal introductions. It is true that “we can only love that which we know.” So, I ask to know. I ask to know more of the things that are personal to the Lord.

If we all asked the Lord for personal introductions, how many people would we meet? How many lives would be changed and how much love could be shown? I believe the answer is beyond comprehension.
And so I pray... Lord teach us. Give us personal knowledge of your heart and motivate us to love as you love.

1 comment:

pam said...

Wonderful...because what we see will so quickly be washed away by Love...