Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Big News

Greetings from Cambodia!
I have some big and exciting news for you all! But first let me update you on the last three months.

As you all know, I have been working in Cambodia. During my time here, I have partnered with several different ministries. In February, it became clear to me that my purpose in Cambodia was to work in a village called Svay Pak. I have been visiting Svay Pak three times a week along with my teammate Alli. We have been providing a childrens program while partnering with an anti-trafficking ministry called Agape International Missions (AIM). While working in Svay Pak, we have been using AIM’s facility, Rahab’s House. Rahab’s House is a former brothel that was raided and then renovated for ministry. The girls that were rescued from the brothel now lead a Bible study there two times a week.
At Rahab’s house, we work with children aged 1-16, teaching them about the Bible and God''s plan for their lives. The heart-breaking reality is that many of these same children are being sold for sex during the hours that they are not in our program. It is a devastating truth that in this village children are bought, sold and abused at young ages.
Despite these truths, the Lord has done amazing things in our time in Svay Pak. We have built relationships with the children and even some of the adults. We have been able to watch the faces of the ch
ildren as they hear truth and love spoken to them for the first time. For many of them, they have not heard that they are loved and cared for by an amazing God. They do not know that there can be freedom from evil spirits and fear. They have never heard that God doesn’t want any man to ever hurt them.
So here is the big news. . .
I have decided to stay in Cambodia for at least three months more! I will continue to live in the same house with Alli. We will continue our ministry in Svay Pak and increase our time there. We plan to begin small discipleship groups in order to train up young leaders. We also plan to spend more time in the village, visiting and praying with families. As we have already found, there is a huge resistance to our presence there spiritually. We hope to make more friends and begin to build trust in the village.

I have two goals for the next three months:
1. To increase my involvement with the ministry in Svay Pak, concentrating on training young leaders and reaching out to the village.
2. To focus on language learning. This will involve working with a tutor a few times a week. And of course, “Practice, Practice, Practice!”
We have already seen changes in Svay Pak. We trust that there are even more changes to come. These changes are due largely to your emotional, spiritual and financial support. Svay Pak is your village and ministry just as much as it is Alli’s and mine. So, I ask you to join us in prayer for financial support to continue our ministry here in Cambodia.

Please consider financially partnering with our ministry in Svay Pak. I have budgeted that I will need $1,922 to cover living expenses until July 1st. Together Alli and I will need $2,400 for the ministry expenses. Up until now, my ministry partner, Alli has raised almost all of our needed ministry funds. The total amount needed is $4, 322. I need to have this money accounted for by May 1st.

There are two ways to give. You can choose to give a one time gift, or support me monthly as a missionary.
Your donation will directly affect the hurting and oppressed children of Svay Pak. You will partner with us in bringing the message of hope and life in Christ.
Please prayerfully consider both of these options and email me your decision. This is a huge help to me and very much appreciated. I hope to make contact with all of you to explain more of our ministry and discuss any questions you might have. However, due to the time difference and unreliable phone systems, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to contact everyone. Thank you for all your care and support. I do hope that I can hear a
ll of your voices soon.
Also, you are welcome to forward this email to anyone you know that might be interested in hearing more about what is happening in Svay Pak.

God Bless,
Ruthie Nickell

For tax-deductible donations please send checks to:
All Nations Family, Inc
5360 College Blvd
Suite 100
Overland Park, KS 66211
*make check payable to All Nations Family. On a separate piece of paper please write my name and attach it to the check.

No comments: